Thursday 2 February 2012

Wills of Lewes

Once upon a time in Arcadia and most notably on a Thursday, ladies and gentlemen in the market town of Lewes in East Sussex would walk down Malling Street and call in at Wills' Fishing Tackle which had started life in the 19th Century as a butcher's shop.  There, they would talk about the roach that had been caught in the River Ouse upstream of Harveys Brewery and hear rumours of giant sea trout.

Today, should you find yourself in Lewes I can recommend a trip to Malling Street in memory of W. R. Wills after which you should drink to his fishing tackle at the splendid public house The Gardeners Arms that stands almost opposite Harveys Brewery.  There, I suggest you take several half pints before walking up the hill to look down on The Dripping Pan, home of Lewes Football Club.  However, I do suggest that you take this exercise upon a Saturday and on a Thursday visit me at my stall at Spitalfields Antiques Market in the district of London E1 where I sell Vintage Fishing Tackle for the Soul and can give you directions from the stall to the home of Harveys Brewery in London, The Royal Oak.