Friday 18 February 2011

Spitalfields

Once upon a time in Arcadia, most notably in the year 1953, Friday meant the delivery of the revolutionary new weekly angling newspaper 'Angling Times' which was launched by its inaugural editor Bernard Venables in that year.   Yesterday at the market it was a day for finding lost Angling Times items, in the form of not one, but two enamel badges for the Angling Times Kingfisher Guild.  Whilst pondering the chances of that happening I was pleasantly surprised by a visit from my old friend and veteran from Creation Records, Mr. Andy Saunders, who now spends his days hunting giant pike on Blickling Estate Lake.  Andy very kindly left me with a copy of the Angling Times book 'Fishing the Norfolk Broads', written by Peter Collins and first published in 1967.  After that it was time for me to lose myself for the rest of the afternoon on 'Woodbastwick Decoy Broad' (Page 58) and 'Other Lakes and Pits' (Page 77).